MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Well here is a pic of a green stabilized flame box elder made into a short reed goose call. I hope nobody gets mad that I posted this pic on here ,just showing what you can do with the ZK-TR90 resin and some color. Troy

Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkrueger View Post
Well here is a pic of a green stabilized flame box elder made into a short reed goose call. I hope nobody gets mad that I posted this pic on here ,just showing what you can do with the ZK-TR90 resin and some color. Troy
How much testing have you done on the setup you used on the wood?

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM

I have done alot of testing with this resin . The process is vacuum and pressure depending on the wood I am stabilizing. With vacuum at - 28.5 you can get 100% penetration of the resin. If a blank of spalted maple is 110 grms before stabilizing after it will be 285 - 315 grms . I have done several hundred 2 x 2 x 6" wood blanks with this process and have had no problems . Hope this answers your questions . Troy
Old 07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Guru

I take it no stain or water test? How about heat testing?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet View Post
as far as the stain testing, I have applyed a very dark walnut stain to a few stabiliized blanks to see what it would do and its just like wipeng stain on plastic with no issues, the blanks i was trying it on where blanks that where finished with CA, I have not tryed it on every type of wood i stabilize, as far as the water the type of conditions that we put these blanks thru in the hunting world, they are very good to standing up to water, I have had calls that have steped down in to the mud in the bottom of the lake found a week later brought in to shop and buffed out cleaned up and its looks like new with no issues, as far as the heat the only testing that i have done is in my cure oven, I turned the oven up to 300 and let blanks sit in there for 3 hours and there was no change in the blanks condition.

Jon
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Guru

What type of wood?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNet View Post
What type of wood?
Green Sumac
Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 AM

]BlackNet
Guru

Answer to the above question

I did a water test on a block of spalted maple stabilized with TR- ZK 90. Here are the results . The blank size is 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 3 1/2 " . The blank weighed 152 grams before I put it in the water. The stabilized blank sank in the bucket of water and I left it in there for about 2 days ( 53 hrs ) . After I took it out of the water it weighed 160 grams. I think that would pass any water test , so I hope this answers your questions. This resin is no home brew its the real deal. Troy

Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Master

That's pretty sweet
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Hall of Famer

It is evidently a good product to stabilize wood with but the question still remains as to whether or not it is practical to do on an individual basis. There is the satisfaction of doing it yourself and that's not something that is easy to put a price on. But are you, or would I, be spending more money on doing for ourselves something that someone else could do on a large scale production level for for a lot lower unit cost?

Doug

Old 07-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkrueger View Post
]BlackNet
Guru

Answer to the above question

I did a water test on a block of spalted maple stabilized with TR- ZK 90. Here are the results .
That is indeed nice, you have me convinced yes indeed. However, worth doing the stain test. Take you some a good sized block say 6x6x6; after the treatment on it slice it into average size knife block or there abouts nothing exact mind you but something you would cut for scales. Soak it in ALCOHOL based stain, dont even polish it or sand it, leave it rough cut from the saw; after about oh say 3-4 days slice it open both directions, cross cut and rip then note the stain penetration.

The reason you cut it up AFTER processing and check with the stain is to show penetration and inner consistency.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Master

Have to keep in mind that alcohol based stains will penetrate the wood fibers more then water or oil. It's not often that a knife comes into contact with things like alcohol.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Master

What kind of resin is the TR- ZK 90? Is it a MMA(methyl methacrylate)? Where does one get it? Whats the price?

Some time later this year we will be putting together a stabilizing system (vacuum and pressure) and I'm still researching which resin to go with.

For most people I would recommend just sending it out to the professionals but in our case its just not efficient. We make a fair amount of knives, are on the opposite side of the globe from WSSI, etc and a cubic foot of wood can easily cost $150 in shipping and a 2month wait. We've been buying pre-stabilized pieces but we have access to some interesting local woods I would like to start having done.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBE View Post
What kind of resin is the TR- ZK 90? Is it a MMA(methyl methacrylate)? Where does one get it? Whats the price?

Some time later this year we will be putting together a stabilizing system (vacuum and pressure) and I'm still researching which resin to go with.

For most people I would recommend just sending it out to the professionals but in our case its just not efficient. We make a fair amount of knives, are on the opposite side of the globe from WSSI, etc and a cubic foot of wood can easily cost $150 in shipping and a 2month wait. We've been buying pre-stabilized pieces but we have access to some interesting local woods I would like to start having done.
send me a PM with youre email and i will forward information on the resin.
Jon
Old 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Well guys here is the last test for the TR- ZK 90 resin. The stain test . I used the same block of spalted maple that I used in the water test. I left it in the alcohol analine dye for about 2 1/2 days .Then I cut it down the middle and you can see in the pic it passed with flying colors . I hope this answers the tests . Troy

Tags
awesome, bee, build, harden, home, home made, how to, how to make a knife, hunting, ironwood, knife, knife making, made, make, man, plastic, resin, scales, stabilization, stabilizing, supply, wax, what kind, wood, woods